Monday, May 7, 2012

Home of the Desert Rose

A few years ago I took up a project on a whim. The project involved decorating up a fully decorated house for free and the person who won that prize, was Layla. If I had known that simple project would lead to the fantastic friendship I now have with Layla, I might have jumped on it sooner. The first version of this home took me a few months due to waiting for some new items. I wasn't the best decorator, but I was getting better and better, exploring with the layout editor. We didn't have a lot of tools then that we have now.

You can find the original here: Lalaya - Maj'Dul, Court of Truth

This new version I decided to do around a year ago when I felt that it was time to upgrade Layla's home. There was new furniture and I had learned a lot, so why not? But I didn't get to the house right away. there were some real life obstacles and of course at the time I had a list that was never-ending. I finally had a chance and a desire to give Layla something new and bright and fantastic around July, so what did I do? I tore everything down! I packed it up! I even got walls and floors and ceilings in and then... I couldn't touch it again for awhile. The home sat for months with nothing in it. I kept telling myself, telling Layla that I would get to it ASAP, but it never happened.

And then building blocks! And I bashed my head against the desk a few times, because seeing those building blocks gave me more inspiration to work on Layla's house. The problem? They weren't in game yet. So I sat and waited, worked on this and that. I eventually broke down and attempted wall-coverings using tiles. Which worked, sorta. But then finally! Building blocks were in game! Yay! It took a long time waiting for those blocks, but we finally had them and the first thing I wanted to do was give Layla a better home.

I made up a bunch of building blocks. Layla made up a bunch of building blocks and I set to work making her home beautiful. This is the part where I let you see all the pretties right? Nope, not yet.

That was around four to six months or so ago. College hit me pretty hard this last semester. I was struggling to get through it. It's hard to define exactly why I was struggling, but the last few months of college I began to not understand words I was reading, things people were saying and I found it even harder to articulate what I needed to. Communication is the key to everything and I started to lose any communication skill I had.

I wasn't able to decorate much. here and there, but not enough to get Layla her house done in time. She had a birthday some times ago and I wanted to try to get her something to show for it. I wanted to give her something, but I really didn't have the money nor the time, so I set for doing what I thought I could--decorating. I touched on her house again, began to get it ready and done and make her really happy to finally have a house done, but I failed. Not terribly a big deal right? I could just do it late for her. Well, that's all good and dandy.

This last month has been the hardest on me. I have trouble focusing on tasks and half the time I can't really say what I need to. I know what you're thinking, my typing is fine! Well, that's the wonder of word processing programs for ya. It's a lot easier to sit here and take all the time in the world to type out all I need to, reword it when I need to. I was really disappointed I was not at least able to surprise Layla with her dojo at the very least. Layla has stepped in and helped me almost every step of the way, providing support, encouragement and just generally being a great friend.

In the next few months, I don't know what is going to happen, whether I will still be around or decorating, but I have given it my all and I have created a place that I think Layla can be happy with for a very long time. So I guess I've rattled on for far too long. it's about damn time I show off this house, so here you go. Enjoy!

Layla thank you for all your help on this project, on other projects and more. You know how much I adore you!

Name: Lalayla
Location: Maj'Dul - Court of Truth
Server: Antonia Bayle
Decorator(s): Neversea and Lalayla Crimsonblade
Housing Leader Board: N/A

Entryway: I decided to go with blue as the primary color for the home because Layla loves blue. Normally I don't like using the Neriak blue marble, but it was perfect for this home. The secondary coloring on the walls was something I wanted to do from the start, I thought it would be pretty cool and fitting. It's nice, elegant and yet not too fancy!



Layla helped out a lot, pretty much spreading all the items through the entryway with me adding my little touches once I got the walls settled into place.



The door was rather interesting. It took me around two weeks to decide what to do with it. I wanted to cover it, but then I didn't want people to have to use /house to exit, but I didn't want it obvious this was a Maj'Dul home. I finally accidentally set something in just the right position that I was still able to click on the handle, which in a Maj'Dul home, is the exit!









From the beginning of this project dating back to the first version, Layla wanted a dojo with a fighting ring. I had a hard time the first version doing up a dojo. Items hated to be flipped and turned and I could never make the picture frames I wanted to use work properly, so I settled on something else. Going back to it this time, I wanted something unique that would stand out, so I choose to use white marble and teak.





The windows and doors were pretty hard to work with, but I couldn't hide the door and I wanted to have the windows, because windows are awesome, so I came up with a pattern that I felt would work nicely after looking through some photos of Japanese dojos. This is what I came up with.









The kitchen I struggled with. I couldn't find the right counter tops, nor anything that would look good. Then finally I decided to try half blocks of sumac. those worked great, but they looked a bit plain and drab, so I tacked on some white marble for counter tops. I'm still not happy with the counter tops, but they work for now!







The second thing in the kitchen I struggled with was the lower cabinets. The upper ones looked great once I had them in place, but something just felt like it was missing. I finally stumbled upon the new crates I could make and worked with those for about 3 hours before I finally found something I liked and it worked!









I was rather disappointed to see that we were not given rosewood blocks. I settled for using dividers for the bottom half of the walls in this room.











The Water Room/Bath is one room that Layla really wanted. I'm not positive I got her vision of it right, but I am happy with it. The bath took a lot of work to arrange and I got pretty frustrated a couple of times. Luckily I had Layla there to help inspire me.







The bedroom. I wanted to do some fancy wall things in here, but I was getting pretty low on item count at the time and still had the dojo to go, so I decided to forego the wall things and just do a fancy flooring. Most of the arranging was done by Layla here. i just tinkered up the floors and stuff.





Layla's art corner done by herself!




It's hard to see the prettiness of the floor, but it's there!





Lastly, we have the garden. I have always loved working with gardens!















And there we have it. A piratey maj'dul paradise for Layla!

No comments:

Post a Comment